Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday: Audition Day

What a day! I slept in and had my carrot-apple-ginger juice before heading back to the studio for an hour of practice. Then I came home and readied myself in all my awesome Chinese jacket finery. I took a car to the audition and a taxi home, mostly due to the across town location of the theatre, and the intense headache I was battling. (It was clearly due to nerves, since it magically disappeared about an hour after the audition!)

I sang well. "Voi, che sapete" was good and nuanced and felt great. They asked for "Furibondo" next (hooray! a second chance!) and we did the A section with the ornamentation. This didn't feel as good. I felt like I was pushing, which I didn't feel at all in the Mozart. I wasn't very pleased with it at all. But I was thrilled that I was asked for a second aria!

The result? I did not get into the 2nd round. I am sad. I am disappointed. But I'm also very glad I tried. I will receive feedback from the panel, so that will be informative and helpful for the next audition!

Here is today's video: the lovely Joyce DiDonato on her most recent CD.


1 comment: