Saturday, February 4, 2012

Another Audition - Another Opportunity!

The day I found out the Chicago Classical Singer Convention was cancelled, I also received an invitation to audition for Dr. Skinner. The Summerfest Professional Choir is a well-paid, week-long endeavor with a respected and much-loved, close-to-retirement, conductor. Of course I jumped at the chance.

Today was my audition, and similar to my audition for Venus and Adonis with the Baroque Chamber Orchestra, I was reminded of why I prefer opera auditions. Sightreading under pressure is just not my strong suit. I sang well though, so we shall see. I sang "Oh Thou That Tellest Good Tidings to Zion" from Messiah (which was requested) and then a botched-words version of "Voi che sapete." Note to self: always review the arias, just in case. I sightread the Bach chorale easily but the Rossini was more complicated with the runs. Wish I had a chance to try it again. I'll know Wednesday. And even if I don't get the gig, it was a good experience and a very nice realization that I am in the singers' loop here in the Boulder/Denver area. And that is a good thing!

Tonight is Temple Sinai's big music department fundraiser and it's going to be so much fun. We are doing a bunch of show tunes. What a blast! I'll spend the night at Dawn's and then we have Holy Ghost tomorrow morning. Whew!

I think I have two more weeks of mellowness before Opera Colorado starts up every night. That will be interesting!

Here is today's video. SO TRUE!!! And hysterical. Enjoy.


1 comment: